When most people are searching for jobs, they tend to look for the one that has the best salary. This is important for most people because this creates opportunities to pay bills and relieve financial stressors. Job seekers who have mental illness tend to overlook the situations that offer the best support. When dealing with mental health issues, things can come up unexpectedly. You want to be in an environment that is suitable and supportive.
Here are some questions and tips to keep in mind that can benefit your workplace mental health:
- Does the job offer an Employee Assistance Program?
- How supportive is the Human Resource Department?
- How do staff members support each other?
- How much sick leave does a job offer just in case you have episodic flare ups?
- Will you be able to be accommodated for your mental health needs?
- Are there telework opportunities?
- What is the culture in how bosses and employees treat each other?
- Does the boss have an open door policy? Will you be able to talk to your boss about your problems and are they approachable? You don’t want a boss that can easily trigger you.
- Observe if the job has a lot of high turnovers. That’s a clue into how the business is run. High turnover may mean that people do not like the place. Not every place that has high turnover is bad, but it may not be the best place for you.
- Observe if people stay in jobs for a long period of time.
- Look into activities that employees do together such as lunch breaks or walk breaks around the facility. Subtle clues such as staff celebrating other coworkers’ milestones such as birthday parties, bridal showers, and baby showers give great insight into the work environment.
Remember, you can spend most of your day at work. So try to pick the job that suits your mental health needs the best.
We at Genesis Psychiatric Solutions are hear to assist you, if you like to know more please call (703)955-0916 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Follow us on Instagram and Twitter: @GPSMINDSET
Like us on Facebook: @GPSMINDSET
Dr. Ifeanyi Olele
Ifeanyi Olele, DO, MBA, MS, is a board-certified psychiatrist who sees adolescent and adult patients in the greater Washington DC metropolitan area at Genesis Psychiatric Solutions. Dr. Olele is a dedicated psychiatrist in the treatment of anxiety, depression, trauma-related stress disorders, and attention deficit disorders. Dr. Ifeanyi Olele is one of the few psychiatrists who utilizes psychotherapy (talk therapy) as part of his treatment plan.